On November 16, 2020, Matt Christian, LCSW and Craig James, LCSW, LSATP, MAC spoke about Bipolar Disorder and Dual Diagnosis Treatment to the Parents of Addicted Loved Ones (PAL) support group. The group, which typically meets in-person on Mondays from 7:00pm-8:30pm at the Reston Bible Church, was held virtually.
- Defining Bipolar Disorder and mania
- Distinguishing between Bipolar I, Bipolar II, and Cyclothymia
- Under and over-diagnosing
- Challenges with active substance use
- What family members can do:
- Setting boundaries
- Avoiding enabling
- Acknowledging, but not being a Prisoner to Fear
- Asking: “Am I responsible for or responsible to my loved one?”
- Maintaining a healthy family system
Matt and Craig will be participating in a half-day workshop with two break-out sessions about understanding addiction and mental illness with PAL in the Spring of 2021.