To develop an in-depth understanding of an individual’s strengths, abilities, and areas in need of improvement, Insight Into Action Therapy uses a variety of psychological testing. Depending on the reason for testing, your evaluation may provide insight into cognitive, academic, emotional, behavioral, neuropsychological, memory, or executive (e.g., attention, planning, and organization) functioning.
What is Psychological Testing?
While some may still have negative connotations around the idea of psychological evaluations, they’re simply the mental version of medical tests done of the body. For instance, when the source of a symptom is unclear, physicians order a series of tests to understand what is causing the problem. The results of these tests clarify the diagnosis and enable physicians to develop a targeted treatment plan. Similarly, psychological evaluations include a variety of tests and assessment tools, enabling counselors and therapists to make a diagnosis and develop appropriate action plans or interventions.
Both adults and children benefit from psychological evaluations. When anyone experiences behavioral or emotional problems at work, school, or in relationships, testing can help identify areas of strength to maximize opportunities for growth and success. Our psychological evaluations allow individuals to maintain and improve their mental health. Adults can benefit from testing for the following reasons:
- Underperformance or difficulty adjusting to college
- Difficulty succeeding at work or getting along with co-workers
- Difficulties with dating or other personal relationships
- Problems getting along with spouses, children, or other family members
- Emotional distress
- Changes to emotional or brain functioning (e.g., memory problems) related to injury or illness
Similarly, good mental health begins at an early age. Children and adolescents especially who are going through a challenging time in their life can benefit from testing for the following reasons:
- Academic or behavioral problems at school
- To identify an intellectually gifted child
- Concern that a young child is exhibiting developmental delays
- Difficulty making friends, getting along with peers, or understanding social expectations
- Aggression or other conduct problems
- Problems in relationships with parents or siblings
- Significant trouble focusing, paying attention, and following directions
- Frequent sadness or worry, angry outbursts, or withdrawal and isolation
- Trouble coping with a significant change, loss, or traumatic event
Psychological testing allows you or your loved ones to get ahead of any emotional issues or mood disorders. It’s a means to not only address mental health issues when they arise but maintain good, ongoing mental health.
What Conditions Can Psychological Testing Help Address?
Good mental health, just like physical health, is something all individuals should work at improving or, at the least, maintaining. Psychological testing is a means to identify any emotional or mental health issues that may arise in an individual. Often, people are unaware they are struggling with a mental health issue like a depressive or anxiety disorder. Testing allows for professionals to act proactively to prevent issues from arising and simultaneously discover issues that may need to be treated. Some conditions that our psychological testing at Insight Into Action Therapy can help identify and address include:
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Anxiety Disorders
- Reactive Attachment Disorder
- Oppositions Defiant Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Insight Into Action Therapy
At Insight Into Action Therapy, we believe in treating the whole person. We understand that mental health and physical health go hand-in-hand. Therefore, our psychological testing gives individuals, couples, families, and children the diagnostic tools needed to ensure ongoing wellness. Should our routine evaluations discover mental health issues that need to be addressed, we offer a range of programs to help individuals. Insight Into Action Therapy provides the following therapies and treatments:
No matter your needs or that of your loved ones, our team of experts can help. So reach out today at 703.935.8544 and explore the services we provide.