Individuals with a substance use disorder may be trying their best to quit while still experiencing intense cravings. As a result, they often struggle with feelings of shame, self-doubt, and low self-esteem. Without the right therapy and medication, such patients may relapse. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, you may opt for acceptance and commitment therapy at Insight Into Action Therapy’s renowned psychiatric counseling center.
Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) is a novel therapeutic approach that teaches patients that their negative thoughts and emotions are valid. Instead of controlling or modifying their feelings, ACT guides clients to take meaningful actions based on their core values. For example, individuals may accept that they occasionally have cravings but still commit to long-term sobriety and wellness.
To learn more about our addiction counseling services, contact our team at 703.935.8544.
How Does ACT Work?
Steven C. Hayes developed ACT in 1982. It utilizes a variety of mindfulness techniques and behavior therapy. ACT notably differs from other evidence-based therapies because instead of fighting or controlling one’s emotions, ACT encourages patients to accept the feelings as part of their lives. The core tenets of ACT are:
- Contact with the Present Moment
- Observing Self
- Committed Action
As the very abbreviation suggests, ACT is focused on “actions.” Through mindful actions and choices, patients can live happy and fulfilling lives. They accept that some things are beyond their control and instead focus on creating meaningful experiences, regardless of barriers.
Why We Offer an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Program
At Insight Into Action Therapy, we prioritize the client’s physical and emotional well-being above all. Instead of simply treating the disorder’s symptoms, our trained and empathetic therapists guide the patient on making meaningful and sustainable changes.
As part of our different addiction counseling and therapeutic services, we offer ACT for the following reasons:
- Individuals do not “choose” to develop an addiction. Addiction is a deadly disease that can affect anyone and must be treated as such.
- Curing symptoms isn’t the same as curing the disease. ACT is focused on creating a meaningful life, and symptom reduction is a by-product of it.
- Negative thoughts and emotions are a part of us, just like positive ones. Instead of denying these feelings, ACT teaches clients to accept and learn from them.
- ACT is all about embracing who you are, and living a life based on one’s core principles and values, despite facing different barriers
- ACT acknowledges that while we may not control circumstances or our mental responses, we can still control our actions and choices.
- Many individuals who struggle with hopelessness and loss of control have used ACT to steer their lives towards wellness and happiness.
As a result, despite symptom reduction not being a primary goal, ACT has been extremely effective in treating a multitude of disorders, including:
- Substance abuse
- Chronic pain
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
Our Addiction Counseling Center in Ashburn, VA
At our treatment center, we offer acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) to interested clients. Our stellar staff teaches them to identify and accept those issues beyond their control and commit to improving their quality of life. In addition to ACT, we also offer the following therapies:
- Process addiction treatment
- Motivational interviewing
- Dual diagnosis
- CRAFT (community reinforcement and family training)
- Eating disorder therapy
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- PTSD treatment
- Relapse prevention
- Religious-based programs
- Schizoaffective disorder
- Schizophrenia treatment
- Suboxone treatment
- Trauma therapy
- Vivitrol treatment
Find Hope and Healing at Insight Into Action Therapy
No matter how severe the condition, there is always hope. At Insight Into Action Therapy, we ensure that every patient receives the highest level of care, medical attention, and support at every step of the recovery process. Our queer-friendly treatment center provides a variety of therapies and customizable treatment programs, with a special focus on aftercare. Call us today 703.935.8544 and change your life for the better.